FFX 2018 Agenda (click link for PDF version)
FOOD & FARM EXPERIENCE AGENDA
The Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
40 Civic Center Plaza * Poughkeepsie, New York
(845) 485-5300 · Fax (845) 486-7200
October 17-19, 2018
Wednesday, October 17, 2018
4:00 pm Room Check-In
5:30 pm Ag 101 – for those who would like to broaden their expertise!
Karen Davenport, Farmer and Ag Educator
6:30 pm Registration & Wine!
7:00 pm Dinner
Welcome & Overview –
Sandie Prokop, Mng. Director of the Foundation
FFX Kickoff Panel – what employers seek and options
- Adam Cook, Nutrien Ag Solutions, Manager/Certified Crop Advisor
- Ruth Moore, CCE Dutchess County, Executive Director
- Ken Migliorelli, Migliorelli Farm LLC, Partner
8:30 pm till? Networking
Thursday, October 18, 2018
7:00-8:00 am Breakfast
8:00-8:30 am Good Morning! Welcome and Announcements– Sandie Prokop
Welcome to Dutchess County– Chris Kelder, NYFB District Director
The Importance of NY Agriculture -David Fisher, NYFB Pres. & Foundation Chair
“Every Farmer” -NYFB Video
8:30-9:30 am Pre-Conference Comments & Participant Introductions
9:30-10:30 am My Ag Story
- Eloise Herrman – Vet Tech, NYS Dept. Ag & Mkts.
- Rick Zimmerman – Executive Director, NE Ag & Feed Alliance
- Mark Ochs – Owner, Ochs Consulting LLC
10:30-10:45 am Break w/ tea & coffee bar
10:45 am Investing in Tomorrow Presentations
- Farm Credit East- Intern programs and opportunities
- Jean Gallagher, Director of Recruiting and Training
- Dutchess County Youth Presentation: 4-H Experience in Austria, Program Potential in Agriculture Technology
- Hannah Malafy & Faith Shultz – Teen Ambassadors
- Cheryl Starace & Cassie Messina Rainbolt – Facilitators
1:00 pm Board Bus for Tour – Three tour stops to include:
Adams Fairacre Farm Market, Poughkeepsie – Mark Adams, President Mark Adams Greenhouses, Inc.
Angry Orchards, Walden – Jamie Correo, Facility Manager
Blue Chip Horse Farm, Walkill – Jean Brown, General Manager
- Jackie Kelder (local farmer and educator) will be sharing area information and her story during our travels.
6:30 pm Mill House Brewery Co. – Tasting, Dinner, Their History & Careers!
8:45 pm Walk to hotel (1.5 level blocks!)
9:00 pm Networking!
Friday, October 19, 2018
7:15 am Breakfast
8:00 am Good Morning & Announcements– Sandie Prokop
8:05 am Industry Outlook Panel – Career Opportunities
- Cornell University, CALS – Aubrey Holbrook, Admissions Administrative Coordinator
- SUNY Morrisville – Rebecca Hargrave, Assistant Professor, School of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- New York Wine & Grape Foundation – Sam Filler, Executive Director
- New York Turfgrass Assoc. – Dominic Morales, Director
- USDA Animal Plant Health Inspection Service/ Veterinary Services – Mary Stephens, New York State Animal Identification Coordinator & Beef/Sheep Farmer
- Dairy Farmers of America – Megan Clancy, Sales Group Analyst
9:15-9:30 am Open Floor for Questions
9:30-10:00 am Time for individual conversations with the outlook panel
10:00 – 10:15 am Break
10:15-11:30 am Agricultural Education and Educational Agriculture
- Shari Lighthall – Director of NY Agricultural Education Outreach
- Katie Carpenter – New York Agriculture in the Classroom Director
In order to receive CTLE Credits, this session must be attended.
11:30 am Summary, review & evaluation –
Complete Post-Conference Comments
Discussion & Recognition
Noon The Final Curtain & Lunch
Thanks to all who in any way “touched” this program.
Thank you to our sponsors: