The Food & Farm Experience 2019 – Focusing on Career Exploration and Development for Student Counselors in all NY Middle and High Schools
The 2019 Food & Farm Experience Overview:
- The Food and Farm Experience (FFX) is a two-day in-depth experience tailored as an agricultural education encounter created for those involved in middle school and high school career exploration and development.
- An opportunity to “connect” school counselors with an industry that offers more than 300 related career opportunities. The participants will enhance their understanding of food and farming by meeting and networking with industry experts, employers, agricultural entrepreneurs and post-secondary educators.
- Dates: October 16-18, 2019
(Begins with an AG 101 workshop, reception, and dinner on Wednesday, October 16, and winds down on Friday, October 18, concluding at noon.)
- Location: The Radisson Hotel, Corning, NY
- Participants: a maximum of 35 middle and high school career counselors/leaders in New York
- Cost: Participant attendance costs are covered by the Foundation for food, lodging, and workshop materials. Participants must cover transportation to and from the Experience.
- Application (click here) is necessary for inclusion in the annual Experience. Deadline for applications is July 12, 2019, postmarked by mail to: NYFB Foundation Food and Farm Experience, P.O. Box 5330, Albany, New York 12205-03303, or by email to: email@example.com. Please note: for email applications, please be sure to complete the application in its entirety, save it with your name, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Filling out the PDF will NOT automatically submit it to us.
*A NYFB Foundation Program initially sponsored by The American Agriculturist Foundation*
The Food & Farm Experience is an annual summit for exchanges about agriculture and making connections with a full array of those associated with and engaged in agriculture. Participants will be selected via nomination and application and the Foundation Board of Directors. The goal is to develop extensive agricultural understanding, networking, and connections. These participants will be ready to touch the lives of the next generation as they guide them in career choices, with those choices gaining an expanded view and understanding. Speaker attendee roster will include two to three individuals who are actively engaged in farming. These individuals will learn from and be able to interact positively with the Experience participants.
The 2016 thru 2018 FFX were such a success, and there are so many potential participants in every community. We are preparing an updated experience for 2019 for a new crop of counselors. By targeting a specific group, we gain the ability to provide the highest quality and focused support materials and program for the annual chosen target audience. The experience for participants in each year’s target group is elevated by a common peer thread and the added benefit of sharing and building knowledge and networks.
The FFX participants will have the opportunity to share with those representing the full breadth of agriculture during their two-day immersion! Feet on the ground will take them on-site at a variety of stops along the journey from farm to fork and get a feel for the multitude of career options available throughout agriculture. They will receive high-quality materials and resources that will provide for easy access to the core of New York agriculture and be exposed to panels representing agricultural expertise, jobs, education and our future!