Focusing on career exploration and development for student counselors in all NY middle and high schools
The 2017 Food & Farm Experience (FFX) will “connect” school counselors with an industry that offers more than 300 related career opportunities. The participants will meet with industry experts, employers, agricultural entrepreneurs, and post-secondary educators. The 2016 FFX was such a success, and has an audience that has barely been touched, so we will be presenting an updated experience for this sector in 2017.
The Food & Farm Experience is an annual summit for exchanges about agriculture and making connections with a full array of those associated with and engaged in agriculture. A two-day in-depth experience tailored as an agricultural education encounter created for an audience of those involved in middle school and high school career exploration and development, who will be selected via nomination /application and the Foundation Board of Directors, with a goal to develop extensive agricultural understanding, networking, and connections. These participants will be ready to touch the lives of the next generation as they guide them in career choices, with those choices gaining an expanded view and understanding.
This learning “Experience” is scheduled for October 18-20, 2017 at The Beeches Inn & Conference Center in Rome, New York, when the Experience members will have the opportunity to share with those representing the depth and breadth of agriculture during their two-day immersion! Feet on the ground will take them on-site at a variety of stops along the Journey from farm to fork and get a feel for the multitude of career options available throughout agriculture. They will receive high-quality materials and resources that will provide for easy access to the core of New York agriculture and be exposed to panels representing Ag expertise, jobs, education and our future!
By targeting a specific group, we gain the ability to provide the highest quality and focused support materials and program for the annual chosen target audience. The experience for participants in each year’s target group is elevated by a common peer thread, and the added benefit of sharing, and building knowledge and network.
The 2017 Food & Farm Experience is:
- A two-day program for twenty-five to thirty-five target group members – starting with a reception and dinner on Wednesday, October 18, enhanced with a panel presentation of ag businesses that hold tremendous potential for their students, and winding down on Friday, October 20th, concluding at noon
- Application is necessary for inclusion in the annual Experience
- The attendee roster will include two to three individuals who are actively engaged in farming. These individuals will learn from and be able to interact positively with the participants within the Experience program
- The costs of attending this experience are covered for food, lodging, and workshop materials
- The Experience offers open conversations that allow the participants to enhance their understanding of food and farming and “connect” on all levels to provide an enhanced network and links to the industry that feeds them in so many ways
An NYFB Foundation Program sponsored by The American Agriculturist Foundation